Friday, March 28, 2008

NRBQ! NRBQ! NRBQ!

Courtesy of Fred Silver of the NRBQ e-list, here are his Top 10 favorite quotes from 'Q shows past:

10) Westfield, Mass. 2000-somethin:
"I don't get it." - Young girl, to her friend, during "Sukiyaki"...

9) Manchester, Conn. 2000-somethin:
"That BEAT !! THAT BEAT !!" - Young man, probably seeing the band for the first time

8) Agora Ballroom, W.Hartford, Conn., 1970's :
"That piano player leaves something to be desired." - my roomate's friend Harry, who clearly didn't get it.

7) Howard Johnson's, Windsor, Conn. New Year's Eve, 1980 or 90's ? :
"...mmmmm....ooohhh......(smack)......mmmm..." - Drunk young woman I'd never met who started kissing me about the neck and face. Impressed my buddy quite a bit, who was then slightly less impressed when we saw her continue stumbling through the crowd kissing on another guy, then another, etc.

6) Somehere in Mass., 1990's:
"Donn Adams was checkin me out all night ! He wanted me, I could tell!" - Young woman, my date for the evening. Usually they fall for Terry...

5) Ironhorse,Northampton, Mass. 2000-somethin ( with Captain Lou):
"Is he always like that ?" - My attorney's girlfriend, checking out Terry's antics. Yes dear, he is.

4) Rusty Nail, Sunderland, Mass. 1980's:
"THIS SHIT SUCKS !!!" - Girl who had been smiling and cheering only moments before, during "Who's On First?"

3) Howard Johnson's, Windsor Conn. Moon Pie Festival, 1980's ?:
"Why are you all standing here ?! We got here early so we could get a table in back and now all these people are in front of the stage and we can't see anything ! It's really rude !!(ad infinitum)" -

Told this before, irate woman who decided to single me out for her angry tirade. I tried to explain that this was a dance floor,and she should really come up here and dance to the band. Finally I gave up and sat down on the floor crosslegged, much to the amusement of the strandees.

2) Springfield Municipal Auditorium, Spfld. Mass. 1980's:
A young woman expressed herself nonverbally by getting up on her boyfriend's shoulders and baring her breasts during "Macho Maria" . BIG smiles from the boys in the band, who obviously appreciate effective nonverbal comunication...

And finally, from the 'What The #$@& !! Department' :

Katina's. S. Hadley, Mass., the ol' Quonset Hut, 1980's.They kept a large snake in the floor in front of the stage, under plexiglass, people standing on it all night. Kinda cruel I thought. I stole one of Al's and Joey's picks off the stage that night . Overheard in the men's room, a young college student type to his friend :

1) "Wow, they're like really kinda, like ....Country, huh ? I thought they were gonna be more like, uh...like, Reggae..."

And thanks to "caleb" for this nice photo from the balcony of the Calvin Theatre at the 2004 Q reunion show. She musta been right in front of Gino and I!

I guess I really should give a couple of links to NRBQ performances for you newbies. Here they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ieqkxl4Te9g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-s8JFTt-vo