Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Visit To A Small New Hampshire Town

A business assignment took me today to one of the cooler little towns here in central New Hampshire, Sandwich. It's located just to the north of Squam Lake (aka "Golden Pond") and just south of the "front range" of the White Mountains, the Sandwich/Whiteface/Chocorua range, which are the first mountains above 3,000 feet in elevation.

Here's the first of several vistas I saw today during my visit. This is looking northeast to Mt. Chocorua, one of the most photographed peaks in the US (although never from this angle as I took this shot from a location I cannot divulge). Chocorua used to be called "The Matterhorn of America" even though it is many times lower and is named after a legendary Chief.

In the 1800s, one of the hiking trails to the summit of Chocorua actually had a toll booth, and the first time I climbed it via another trail in the 1960s we had to park and pay on private land to get to the (public) trailhead.