Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Tomato Road Trip

An annual rite of spring...my heirloom tomato plants from Territorial Seed in Oregon are about ready to begin their cross-country journey to Saddle Hill. TS offers varieties that are unavailable here in New Hampshire, and their nursery is located at exactly 1,000 feet above sea level, the same elevation as my garden. They are shipped UPS 3 Day Select, which means that they will be arriving Friday. In all my years of buying plants from TS, I have only had two die on me.

This year I ordered a much smaller shipment than in years past-only 3 plants. Two of these are my longtime fave "Pineapple", and this year I am also trying a "Russian Black", reputed to be very sweet.

They should be loaded onto a truck on their way to Portland OR airport any time now, and then will journey thru the southern US, before being put on a UPS 18 wheeler for the journey to NH. I will be tracking their progress over the next 3 days...

Here's their website:

http://www.territorialseed.com/